Thursday, April 14, 2011

Favourite Interpretations of the TMNT 1

I've recently been re-reading some old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics, and reading some stuff I hadn't, and I've kind of been struck with the fun and imagination of these comics. They're just cool, full of crazy adventures and sci-fi concepts and ninjas and soap opera aspects, it's a pretty good time. So I just thought I'd share some of my favourite iterations of these characters by different creators.
First up is Michael Zulli. I was lucky enough to find his 2 issue run from Volume 1 series in the backbins of Comics Etc ages ago, and it really blew me away. His interpretation of them is much more realistic and detailed, and that series is also much more tied up with the kind of mystic side of the ninja. Zulli's turtles look like turtles, giant swamp creatures from a nightmare perhaps. It was a very different way of looking at these familiar characters.
These few panels below are from a 4 page story in an anthology volume of the TMNT, and I suspect it came a bit before the series I bought, as it the head shape is more in line with the traditional TMNT look, but you still get a sense of his detail and linework. I reckon people just saw this and demanded more, so he was given a larger platform, but I don't know if that's true.


Click on the image to enlarge (in case you don't know) for a better view.

No comments: