Friday, August 26, 2011

Comic Review For Comics Released 3/8/11

Batman Retroactive 1980’s – So I picked up the next one after last weeks 1970’s Retroactive, I think mainly because I enjoyed the last one, and because it looked like it might be fun, and I was curious about the Alan Davis art in the second story, from the 80’s. And it’s got thought balloons. Jason Todd is still Robin in this timeframe, and Batman still hates crime and calls Robin “chum”, which seems a little odd, like a leftover from the Adam West TV show. The story was pretty cool, the return of a masked avenger who hates crime as much as Batman, but takes it a little bit further, killing the criminals rather than just roughing them up. Also , the narrator asked us if we could solve the mystery. But anyway, what I really want to show you are these panels form the original 80’s story. I like this Batman.



Caligula #3 – This issue wasn’t as depraved as the last few issues, but got a little more into the supposed God-like qualities of Caligula. I’m not sure if I’ll keep buying this, but I probably will. I think I find it more interesting than entertaining, but I’m not sure how interested I really am. We’ll see.









Hero Comics 2011 - Apart from the obvious appeal of the Adam Hughes cover, I picked this anthology comic up because it had a few stories from a few series I follow, namely Chew and Elephantmen. Other stories of note were a Neil Gaiman story and a Sam Keith story chronicling the journey of the Neil Gaiman piece. Sam Keith and Mike Dringenberg collaborated on the art for the Neil Gaiman, which is significant because they all worked on the original Sandman issue. It’s a nice painted kind of art, neither strictly one or the other. The Chew story was just a nice little filler, without any real place in the larger story, it could happen anytime. The Elephantmen story was a nice little piece, with a bit of a comment about public health access and the treatment of returned veterans. Sam Keith’s story and art was pretty and somewhat informative.

World of Flashpoint #3 – So this wraps up this short little Flashpoint mini, and it’s pretty much just a Father and Daughter arguing about destroying the world or saving it. We don’t really get to zip around the world and meet different characters like we had in the previous issues, but I guess I didn’t mind, I must’ve gotten invested in the story, because I wanted to know how it turned out. I’ll let you in in on a little secret, it turned out ok.







Flashpoint Batman Knight of Vengeance #3 – The conclusion to this story was pretty good, with Eduardo Risso’s art being the main attraction. Which is not to say Azzarello’s story isn’t good, because it is. It had some great moments, I think my favourite was when Thomas Wayne/Batman is explaining to Martha Wayne/Joker how there’s an alternate reality where Bruce lived. Martha asked him what Bruce did after they died, and Thomas says he follows in his Father’s footsteps. Martha asks if he means doctor, and he says no. Martha realises what he means, and freaks out. It’s like she doesn’t want to wish that on anyone. Anyway, it was pretty good. I suppose I could just show you what I was talking about, instead of telling you.
So here you go.




Flashpoint #4 – This was ok, but I guess the problem I’m having with it is I don’t care about the Flash character and how he wants to put things back the way he knows them, and that’s pretty much the core of the story. But for being the core of the story, they also seem to spend a lot of time not dealing with that. In this issue, we spend a lot of time with a bunch of kids who make Shazam. I thought in the regular DCU it was just one kid who turned into Shazam, but in this one it seems to be about 5 kids. And everybody’s trying to decide if they help with the war between Atlantis and the Amazons, and there is much hand-wringing and back and forth, and it tends to drag the story down somewhat. I’m sounding like I didn’t enjoy, but I did, it’s just I don’t really remember anything about it, and apart from the moment I’m reading it, I don’t really care.

Moon Knight #4 - I think 4 issues is enough of a chance for a book to make an impression on me, and for all I’ve liked it so far, I don’t think I need to keep reading this. Maleev’s art is good, but it doesn’t wow me anymore. But maybe that’s the fault of Bendis, who’s far more interested in character than story. I think it’s the first few pages that did it for me. Echo calls the Avengers to check what the deal is with Moon knight, is he ok or just crazy, and that’s fair enough, it makes sense, but it turns into this whole big thing, who are you? Would you date him? Blah blah blah. And that’s fine, some people want that, but I don’t need it, so I’m just going to walk away from you Moon Knight.



The Punisher #1 – I was a little confused with how this comic opened. If you’re starting a new series, and you’re introducing us to new characters, you might want to give some indication if these panels are happening at the same time or who is who or even where, just something so that I’m not just scratching my head till halfway through the comic. I got it the second time round though. Ok, so a new Punisher series, written by Greg Rucka, whose work on G.C.P.D. I’ve enjoyed, and illustrated by Marco Checchetto, who I’m not so familiar with, but maybe I read some of his Daredevil stuff. Anyway, he’s got a nice style for this kind of book.
So there’s a wedding happening, and some guys with guns bust in and shoot it all to hell, and some cops start to investigate, but one of them seems to be in contact with the Punisher, who’s taken an interest in the case, and he goes shoots a bunch of guys in a bar, but leaves one alive. Pretty basic story, not much happening, and I was kind of wondering, is that it? But no, it wasn’t. There’s a second story, set-up like a police report done via interview, but really showing us the reader the way the events really went down, and it gives us a bit of back story to the younger cop from the main story, and gives a lot more insight into his motivations. It kind of made the whole thing better, and I went back and reread the first story, and it made a lot more sense, because I knew who was who now, but also because there was more depth to the cop. Anyway, I’m looking forward to the rest of the series.


Severed #1 – A new horror comic, co-written by Scott Snyder, who we know and like, and Scot Tuft, who no one’s ever heard of. Set mainly in 1916, it starts in the late 50’s with an old man watching Elvis on TV, who receives a mysterious letter, which kicks off our flashback to when he was a young boy and decides to ride the rails in search of adventure. It’s a bit of slow burn, but I’m looking forward to it. There seems to be some kind of vampireish or serial killer element, but we don’t really know what’s going on just yet.






Snarked #0 - I guess this was an introductory issue, but it felt just like an issue 1 to me. Taking Lewis Carrol’s poems and characters as the start, Roger Langridge is setting up a world and story. Lots of ancillary material in the back, like the original poems and activities for kids. It was fun, but a bit too General Audience for me, so I don’t think I’ll pick this title up in future.

No comments: