Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Films Look Better When They're In Japanese

I wanted to show this movie poster of the upcoming Pixar movie Brave a while ago, but never got round to it. It's obviously the Japanese edition of the poster, and I can't help but feel there's a deliberate similarity to the feel of it to a Miyazaki film. I'm sure it's a fine film, but I have to admit, my interest is heightened thanks to this poster, rather than any of the others I've seen.


I think the upcoming film Battleship looks to be about one of the most uninspiring films to come out of Hollywood for some time, and most of the posters have reflected that, but this Japanese one actually makes me interested. I'm not sure I'm interested enough to go see it, but still it's more interest than I've had before, despite the obvious comparison to Transformers. I think it's something about the scale of the threat to human figure that captures my interest.


So you can see that, at least from these two examples, films look better when they're for a Japanese market. If you want to compare the two films to the other posters, you can find the Brave ones here, and the Battleship ones here.

1 comment:

richard said...

It does make the movie battleship seem like maybe it's also about people. All the posters I've seen suggest it's a movie about a boat with guns that uses the guns to shoot things - not much human interest, but might be good to watch if you were a robot or a boat or something.