Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dylan quote I liked.

I was reading an interview with Bob Dylan in the latest issue of Mojo, and there was just a paragraph from that I wanted to share with you. The discussion was coming from talking about the characters in Bob's song, and Bob was saying they're not characters, it's just him singing. The interviewer then asked can't a singer act out a song, to which Bob agreed. Then the conversation turned towards actors, and Bob shared this little slice of pie, which struck me just because it's Bob referencing Tombstone, and using a quote I often use myself, which just struck me as cool.

Funny thing about actors and that identity thing. Every time I run into Val Kilmer, I can't help myself. I say "Why, Johnny Ringo-you looked like somebody just walked over your grave." Val always says, "Bob, I'm not Johnny Ringo. That's just a role I played in a movie." He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he's right.

I love the wry humour at the end there. But one thing I have to pull him up on, Val Kilmer played Doc Holliday in Tombstone, where the quote obviously comes from, and that was one of his lines in the movie. He wasn't Johnny Ringo. That was Michael Biehn.

1 comment:

Brad said...

it's that he gets the characters wrong that makes the quote! makes him seem like aderanged old man, who thinks he's making a knowing kind of joke, not realising that the joke is actually on him.

i'm sure val kilmer would really love to say "i'm not jonny ringo, bob. i was doc holiday. but i'm not him either!".

but good old val, he goes along with it...