Saturday, November 5, 2011

Panel Of The Week: Tintin-The Calculus Affair

With all this Tintin talk in the air, I thought I'd revisit the beauty of Herge's work in his Tintin comics. Just having a quick flick through a couple, there's a lot that changed in modern comics, but the beauty of his work still shines through. There's a lot of talking heads and large word balloons in the work, but when he does give himself the space, his work really shines through, such a beautiful line and use of flat colour. Well worth a look.

2 comments:

o said...

I grew to prefer Asterix after a while. The scenarios in Tintin are just on the other edge of unbelievable (I recall a particular scene in 'Cigars of the Pharaoh' where T, stranded in jungle, starts blowing in a trumpet-shaped branch he finds. Outcome: "Hooray, I've learned to talk elephant." T commandeers a nearby mastodon and off they go).

I know the premise in Asterix is ridiculous - magic potion etc. But that's the point. Tintin tries to be serious though.

Old Horse said...

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but I never felt that way, I loved them both. I've been flicking through all my Tintins, and there is some ridiculous stuff in there, but it's all fun good times.