Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Latest News, (Which Is Not Much)

I'm not really sure what I've done since I last wrote. I see that I still had three days of training to go when I signed of last time, so I've definitley done that. I haven't really felt much of an urge to write anything down since it seems like there's nothing to really write about. I'm in the office now using their internet, and as I look out the window over the snowswept landscape the sky is as overcast as my mood. There is nothing to do here. Of course that's not toally accurate, there seems to be plenty to do for those who want to ski etc., but I hate winter and the cold, so I'm not as thrilled as everyone else seems to be at the snow.
So what have I done since I last wrote? I finished my training. I've had my qualifying run and passed that. I've gone to Denver airport ot get my access security badge. I've twiddled my thumbs and read and tried not to spend money I'm not yet earning. I've looked at the snow and seen it is beautiful but also realise that it just means it's too cold to rain. Tomorrow I go to see if I can get my social security number and get a Colorado Drivers License. Then I wait five days until I actually have a job lined up. That is what it's been like for us here. Do something, then do nothing, do something, then do nothing. I'm not the only one going stir crazy. They told/tell us soon we're going to busy we won't have time to sit around doing nothing, but until that happens, I'm just getting bored and more broke.
I didn't want to just sit here and complain, another reason I hadn't written sooner, but there's really not much going on for me here. We had a trade show last night and I've got my ski pass now, so maybe soon I'll get myself a lesson or two and give this snowboarding a go, but I need money for clothes and rental at least.
Today I took a go around on the local bus to see what I could see. I'm going to go back on it later and go to a muisc shop that sells comics and get the latset Daredevil, so that's something to look forward to, but it still spending money I'm not earning, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I finished reading Twilight last night and The Stand this morning, so I might pop across the road to the thrift shop and see if there's any cheap books there I want to read.
One positive note is that maybe I've found a church to go to. This has been a slow process. I first tried looking on the net, but found it difficult to gauge what was what with what I found, especially since one address on the site wouldn't match up with what I thought I clicked on, stuf like that. Also not knowing my way around I had no real way of knowing where things were. Another problem was not having sundays free the first few weeks, so I couldn't get to a church even if I knew where one was. My first attempt at locating one turned out not work out so well. Near the Wal Mart our employee shuttle drops us of at, I could see a church a block or so away. On one of my half days or days off I walked down to check it out, see what times its services were on. Turned out to be a Church of the Latter Day Saints, so I decided to give it a pass. As we drove around more I would spot different churches, but none seemed particulary close. In our map book we were given I spotted a church that seemed not too far to walk to. Last week I made the trek to it to see what church it was. Seemed like a church I could go to, but didn't see any service times. I timed the walk back, it was half an hour. The prospect of walking for half an hour in the cold didn't thrill me, but it was best prospect so far, so since I kew it's name, I could look it up on the net. Then later we drove along a road and I spotted a church that I'd seen before, but had a much better idea of where it was now. It seemed in walking distance, so a day or so later I made the walk and timed myself. Ten minutes, much better, so I decided to give that a go around. Unfortunatley it started at 10am and that's when the shuttle leaves home, so I was going to get ther 20-25 mins late, but I thought that was better than not going at all. So anyway, I finally got to church this sunday, and it seems like a pretty good church. Not everything's the way I'm used to, but it seems like a bible believing gospel focused church, so I guess I can live with practices that are different, American if you will. I've asked for sundays off, so hopefully I won't have any work conflicts. I found it hard to concentrate, because I was busy looking around to see how may single females I could see, but I'm going to try harder to focus on the sermon in the coming weeks. On my drive around on the public bus this morning, there was another church further away which I can access, and also there's a stop much closer to the othere one I walked to, but it's still further travelling distance. The bus will drop me off at the one I'm going to as well, so I'll have to spend money, but I'll get there on time at least.
Anyway, I'll think I'll walk across to Riverwalk and see what's palying at the cinema and go to the thrift shop. Till next time.

No comments: