Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Journey So Far Part 2

It was late, we didn't know where we were staying or have anything to sleep on, in the way of sheets and pillow. We were herded into a meeting room and given a quick spiel, which I'm sure no one remembers word one of. But we were given a folder with information in it and lease agreements and a key. We signed, eager to be somewhere with a bed. We were put back into our shuttles and given the choice of going to Wal Mart or just going straight to our apartments. Our shuttle chose Wal Mart, which miracously was still open. It closes at 11pm, so that gave us 15 mins. I grabbed a package deal, containig sheets, pillowcases and doona. I grabbed a pillow and decided a second one will have to wait till more money was available. I got home and opened the door with my key. There were obviously people already living there, but I had no idea how many or in which room. I saw an empty room through the only open door, so decided that will do for now, and if possible, I'll change in the morning. I dumped my stuff thankfully and collapsed on the bed. It seemed comfartable enough, but I thought I better get back up and put my sheets on and get out my PJs. One of my roomamtes must have come out for a drink, so I got to meet him and then his girlfriend. The noise must've brought out the other, so then I met the last one. All rooms were full, I was in my room. So I settled in by leaving my stuff on the floor till the next day, but still managed to put the effort into getting my sheets on my bed etc. Then I fell asleep. The last good sleep.
I woke late. I must've gone to Wal Mart to start getting stuff I'd need, plates, cutlery, food, frypan, the general setting up stuff. I fix up my room up somewhat, put clothes away, work out what I might need. I go to bed early, hoping to catch up on some rest from the last few days.
Sleep has not come easy here. They say it's a matter of acclimitising, but all I know is since then I haven't had a decent nights sleep. I was able to sleep in the first few days, but since we've started training, I've lost my chance to sleep in.
The first day of training wasn't too bad, mostly admininstration stuff and some getting started with the van stuff. Where everything is in the van. How to put on snow chains. A quick first drive around the block. The day was over at a reasonable hour and had enough different things in it so as not to be to boring.
The second day of training was painful. It started with a Colorado Drivers License Written Test, which I got 100% on, so yippee for me. But then we had ADD class, Attitudinal Driving Something-or-other. This was long and painful. Basically a look at yourself and how you drive type thing, which I'm sure is good and helpful, but still is long and painful. Another night of interupted sleep.
The third day of trainig was nice. A bit of an early start, but over before you knew it. Had to have a physical done for the DOT (Dept. of Transport) to prove we're fit to drive. Apparently I was fit enough, unless I'm going to be told later, but I think it's pretty safe to assume they would have told me then if there was any problems. Then that was it, I had the rest of the day off, so I went itno Edwards to track down this cinema and have a look around. I found it, but the movies weren't starting till 4:10, so I had plenty of time. I found a thrift shop and it had a copy of "The Stand" by Stephen King, which is exactly what I was looking for. I crossed back across the road and found a bookstore selling graphic novels and TPBs. My best day in Colorado so far. I went back home and dropped of my purchases and rested a bit, then went back into town to watch "Quantum Of Solace". I liked it well enough. Walked back to base, and it was freaking cold. A driver recommended a alternate route to the one I used earlier, after he dropped us of at the cinema, but it was dark, and I don't know if it would save much time, but less chance of being run over, but I'll need to get a torch for next time so I feel a bit safer.
The fourth day of training was another good one. We headed of to the Centre For Transportation Safety, where we got to do fun things like drive real fast and drive a skid car, which simulates skidding. There was aslo other not so fun stuff like doing parking exercises, but we were still driving. It wasn't all fun though, as it was still ridiculously cold, and my feet hurt form it, even though I'm wearing two pairs of socks. Also it was in Denver, which is a couple hour drive away, which is a little painful heading home at the end of the day when you haven't been getting much sleep.
The last two days have been similar. Classroom in the morning, then driving in the afternoon. Not last night but the night before I actually thought I was getting some good sleep. I still woke up early, but if I hadn't had to get up at 5:30, I reckon I still would've been able to fall back to sleep for another few hours. Unfortunatley last night was just horrible and I tossed and turned all night. I'm considering seeing if I can transfer to Denver for a sales desk position, as I don't want to have to be struggling for sleep all the time, and I'm freaking out about crashing with ten people on board. Earlier today we saw some footage from the in-car cameras. They said it wasn't being shown to us to scare us, but to educate us, but they failed, it scared me. It was nothing graphic, there wasn't any blood or fatalities, and it is a rarity for accidents to happen, but it's still an accident, and it still got me worried. Anyway, it feels better when you're actually driving.
We've driven the last three days now. Driving back from Denver I felt pretty nervous. I felt better yesterday when we were doing our landmark and zone orientation drive, and today was alright on the way back from Eagle Airport Orientation. I'm just so tired all the time, and it's a concern.
Also, if I get to move to Denver, I'll be nearer to more cinemas and actual comic book stores, which also plays on my mind. I wouldn't be earning as much as I could up here, and I'd probably be spending more, but I think I'd be happier.
I don't know, I'll wait and see I guess. We got three more days of training, so hopefully I'll have a better pulse of where I'm at then. One of the lead drivers I spoke to today about it suggested I wait till I do my verification run. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott

Glad you made it - I reckon you're suffering from jet lag.
Take it easy.
Phil C