Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Movie I Can't Wait To See, But At Least Now I'll Get The Chance To


All the internet sites (AICN, Twitch, HitFlix to name the ones I've see it on) have all been a-twitter with the news release today that Kick-Ass has been picked up for distribution by Lionsgate. This probably means nothing to you, so let me fill you in a bit.

Kick-Ass is based on a comic co-created by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr, called, funnily enough, Kick-Ass. Mark Millar has been doing some of my favourite comic writing of late, and JRJR is one of my favourite comic artists, so get them both on one title, which seems to be aimed squarely at the Geekboy market with a story about about comic book geeks, violence, "superheroes", mafia and vigilantes, and it's a recipe for greatness.


So Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Layer Cake) gets a hold of this, loves it, and decides to turn it into a film. But no studio would back it, so he decides then to independently produce it, and goes ahead and makes it anyway. So they've got this movie, but no distribution, but there's a lot of love for it in the Geek press, and they show some footage at ComicCon, and everyone loves it, so now there was a bidding war, and now Lionsgate has won it, and hopefully next year we'll get to see it on our screens.

One thing that worries me though is, in the articles I read, it only mentioned North American distribution, no international distribution, so hopefully that can be confirmed and we'll get to see all this glorious violence on the big screen here.

Below is a scan of a variant cover for issue 1 I bought, with nice pencils by Steve McNiven, another really good artist. Aren't you excited?



No comments: