Saturday, March 16, 2013

Failed Experment 2: Hamburger Patties With Haloumi

I had an idea a while back, I can't remember if there was a specific point of inspiration, but the thought was, why not chop up some haloumi and put it into a hamburger pattie?

So I did.



I used about 600gm of beef mince, about half a red onion, a splash or two of Worcestershire Sauce, and dollop or two of my ribs sauce which was left over, and en egg for binding. Oh yeah, I also cubed up some haloumi into small little cubes. That made about 10 patties. Well, not about, it did make 10 patties, there they are in the photo above.

Anyway.

And then I cooked them.






And then I ate them.


They were alright. Nice hamburger patties if you were having a BBQ, but they were a failure as far as I was concerned. I was hoping for little explosions of haloumi taste in my mouth, but I noticed nothing. No subtle taste, nothing.

I'm going to try again, but next time I will try it with lamb mince to keep it a bit more Greek, and I've got two options. I could fry up some haloumi frst, then cube it and mix it and see if that brings out the flavour, or I could chop the haloumi up a bit larger, maybe into strips rather than cubes, or just larger cubes. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

No comments: