Monday, March 4, 2013

Sunnybank Dining: Top Hot Pot



This was my first experience with Hot Pot, so I was a little unsure of how things would go, but it's kind of obvious, and not dissimilar to other table top dining. I went to Top Hot Pot which is on McCullough St, in the Sunny Park Shopping complex.
So we went with the Buffet menu, which allows you to choose as many ingredients as you like, rather than individual serves. I recommend it, though I'm not sure if it's the most economic way to do it. If you know what you want, are a bit more experienced, you can probably get what you want cheaper. But it does come with free drink as well, which is where I discovered Winter Melon Tea, which is one of my new favourite drinks. It's a kind of toffee/caramel flavoured cold drink, very tasty.
So he basic rundown, you have three soup choices to choose from, and a whole bunch of ingredients that you choose, which you then place in your soup and cook up at the table on little element stoves built into the table top. So the fun comes in choosing them and cooking them. How long should this ingredient go in, and how long should this one? How hot do I want my soup if I've got this ingredient in? All these wonderful adjustable variables you can play with. My hint, if you get the potato, make sure you get that in there nice and early. Most things don't take too long to cook though.
The portion sizes are ample. I went with 2 friends, and if you choose a few between you, there's plenty to share with everyone. It's best to think of it in that way, not as an individual meal. Anyway, I quite enjoyed it, and am keen to go back, but also try out other hot pot places around Sunnybank as well. I'll let you know when I do.






No comments: